Re: BUG #1769: pg_dumpall fails to run

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nigel Kukard" <nkukard(at)lbsd(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1769: pg_dumpall fails to run
Date: 2005-07-14 18:35:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Nigel Kukard" <nkukard(at)lbsd(dot)net> writes:
> When pg_dumpall prompts me for the password I type it in, and press enter
> only to get another password prompt.

This doesn't seem particularly surprising: you are going to have to
enter the password once for pg_dumpall, and once for each of its
per-database invocations of pg_dump.

Most people try to set things up so that pg_dump(all) can be executed
without any manual password entry. You might be able to use another
authorization method for local connections; failing that, set up a
~/.pgpass file for the database superuser.