Re: Bug #652: NAMEDATALEN limitations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Erik_Erkelens(at)yahoo(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #652: NAMEDATALEN limitations
Date: 2002-04-30 18:32:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-sql

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> If NAMEDATALEN is given values of 45,61 initdb -d will fail with the error "relation pg_proc does not exist'.

Did you try to track down why?

Although it's inefficient to declare NAMEDATALEN as not a multiple of 4
(because of alignment considerations --- the space will just be wasted
as pad bytes, so you might as well use it), I don't offhand know why it
wouldn't work. I don't *think* there is any assumption that it's a
power of 2 ... but the well-tested cases are all powers of 2, so ...

> I'd appreciate a comment in e.g. postgress_ext.h telling me e.g. that it should be a power of two, even or something like that.

To do that, we'd need to know what the constraint actually is. Do you
care enough to do the research to find out?

From my perspective it'd be even better to remove whatever the
constraint is, if it turns out to be a localized fix. But not knowing
what's causing the failure, it's hard to guess.