Re: problematic upgrade

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marcin Gil" <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl>
Cc: "'PGSQL-Novice'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problematic upgrade
Date: 2004-11-30 16:04:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Marcin Gil" <marcin(dot)gil(at)audax(dot)com(dot)pl> writes:
> Now is there a way to recover (I have to give him a solution)?
> My thought: downgrade to 7.3.x, pg_dump, upgrade to 7.4, pg_restore.
> Will this work?

I don't think the 7.3 server will start up against the hacked-up
database, if that's what you mean. If he can go back to the way things
were just before he started messing with the database, then certainly he
can pg_dump from the 7.3 installation and go forward from there.

Another possibility is to try pg_dump'ing from what he's got, but
I can't say that I'd have a lot of faith in the result. You'd want
to examine the dump very carefully by hand before assuming it's good.