Re: RESET SESSION

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL-Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RESET SESSION
Date: 2007-03-30 16:18:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> RESET TEMPS -- please suggest better name

RESET TEMP (should allow RESET TEMPORARY too). I see no reason to add
a new keyword when the existing one will do fine.

> So in the end RESET SESSION basically executes following commands:

> ABORT;

I object to having RESET SESSION include an ABORT. That will make it
a transaction control statement and complicate matters for a whole
lot of things. If you don't know whether you're in a transaction or
not, you can send ABORT for yourself, but in practice I think most
client code already tracks that (or easily can).