Re: BUG #2285: Can not access database after successful PITR - file naming problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Nicholas Vinen" <hb(at)x256(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2285: Can not access database after successful PITR - file naming problems
Date: 2006-02-27 17:33:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Nicholas Vinen" <hb(at)x256(dot)com> writes:
> Now, when I try to use PITR to restore the database on my test server, the
> PITR succeeds as normal, but I can not access the database with an error
> like:

> psql: FATAL: could not open relation 1663/16385/605464: No such file or
> directory

This seems pretty ugly :-(. Unless you've got some odd stuff in
~/.psqlrc, I would think that psql startup could only cause accesses to
system catalogs, but 605464 is far beyond the normal relfilenode numbers
assigned to any system catalogs or indexes. AFAICS the only way that a
new relfilenode would be assigned is during TRUNCATE, CLUSTER or
REINDEX ... have you done any of those on system catalogs?