Re: log_collector doesn't respond to reloads

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: log_collector doesn't respond to reloads
Date: 2012-04-27 02:14:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> writes:
>> Might be a red herring, but I was able to reproduce this if (and only
>> if) I forgot to create the new dest directory before doing the reload.
>> Subsequently creating the directory and reloading did not result in a
>> file in the new location.

> Whoever wrote that thought that Log_RotationAge/Log_RotationSize would
> get reset to normal values during SIGHUP, but it's far from clear to me
> that any such thing would actually happen.

And in fact a bit of experimentation proves that it doesn't, unless
there are uncommented log_rotation_age and log_rotation_size entries
in postgresql.conf. So this is a bug, not to mention bad practice.
I think the code needs to use an explicit "rotation_disabled" flag
that it can reset in the SIGHUP block, instead of stomping on GUC
variables.

However, it remains far from clear whether this has anything to do with
Josh's situation. If it does, there should be telltale messages in
his log ...