Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ioguix <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3619: Renaming sequence does not update its 'sequence_name' field
Date: 2007-09-26 14:10:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

ioguix <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr> writes:
> br3619=# CREATE SEQUENCE sample_seq_to_rename;
> CREATE SEQUENCE
> br3619=# select sequence_name from sample_seq_to_rename;
> sequence_name
> ----------------------
> sample_seq_to_rename
> (1 ligne)

> br3619=# ALTER TABLE sample_seq_to_rename RENAME TO sample_seq;
> ALTER TABLE
> br3619=# select sequence_name from sample_seq;
> sequence_name
> ----------------------
> sample_seq_to_rename
> (1 ligne)

This is something we are unlikely to change, because it would have to be
a nontransactional update, which means it'd be out of sync if the ALTER
rolls back after making it. That cure seems hardly better than the
disease.

I seem to recall some prior discussions about rearranging the
representation of sequences to allow separation of transactional and
nontransactional updates, but I don't remember if there were any
non-cosmetic reasons to do it. This one seems pretty cosmetic ...