Re: Group and Role Disagreement

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Group and Role Disagreement
Date: 2009-12-31 23:41:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> My question is: why is the group membership of the foo_bar, foo_baz,
> and foo_yow roles not reflected in pg_group?

Per the fine manual:

The view pg_group exists for backwards compatibility: it emulates a
catalog that existed in PostgreSQL before version 8.1. It shows the
names and members of all roles that are marked as not rolcanlogin, which
is an approximation to the set of roles that are being used as groups.