add --no-sync to pg_upgrade's calls to pg_dump and pg_dumpall

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: add --no-sync to pg_upgrade's calls to pg_dump and pg_dumpall
Date: 2024-05-03 17:13:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This is likely small potatoes compared to some of the other
pg_upgrade-related improvements I've proposed [0] [1] or plan to propose,
but this is easy enough, and I already wrote the patch, so here it is.
AFAICT there's no reason to bother syncing these dump files to disk. If
someone pulls the plug during pg_upgrade, it's not like you can resume
pg_upgrade from where it left off. Also, I think we skipped syncing before
v10, anyway, as the --no-sync flag was only added in commit 96a7128, which
added the code to sync dump files, too.

[0] https://postgr.es/m/20240418041712.GA3441570%40nathanxps13
[1] https://postgr.es/m/20240503025140.GA1227404%40nathanxps13

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-add-no-sync-to-pg_upgrade-s-calls-to-pg_dump-all.patch text/x-diff 1.6 KB