Re: Extend ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES for large objects

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extend ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGES for large objects
Date: 2024-04-24 06:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 23:47:38 -0400

> Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > Currently, ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGE doesn't support large objects,
> > so if we want to allow users other than the owner to use the large
> > object, we need to grant a privilege on it every time a large object
> > is created. One of our clients feels that this is annoying, so I would
> > like propose to extend ALTER DEFAULT PRIVILEGE to large objects.
>
> I wonder how this plays with pg_dump, and in particular whether it
> breaks the optimizations that a45c78e32 installed for large numbers
> of large objects. The added test cases seem to go out of their way
> to leave no trace behind that the pg_dump/pg_upgrade tests might
> encounter.

Thank you for your comments.

The previous patch did not work with pg_dump since I forgot some fixes.
I attached a updated patch including fixes.

I believe a45c78e32 is about already-existing large objects and does
not directly related to default privileges, so will not be affected
by this patch.

> I think you broke psql's \ddp, too. And some other places; grepping
> for DEFACLOBJ_NAMESPACE finds other oversights.

Yes, I did. The attached patch include fixes for psql, too.

> On the whole I find this proposed feature pretty unexciting
> and dubiously worthy of the implementation/maintenance effort.

I believe this feature is beneficial to some users allows because
this enables to omit GRANT that was necessary every large object
creation. It seems to me that implementation/maintenance cost is not
so high compared to other objects (e.g. default privileges on schemas)
unless I am still missing something wrong.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Extend-ALTER-DEFAULT-PRIVILEGES-for-large-objects.patch text/x-diff 19.6 KB