Re: Can't find not null constraint, but \d+ shows that

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't find not null constraint, but \d+ shows that
Date: 2024-04-11 14:48:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Apr-11, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Well, I think you were right that we should try to handle the situation
> of unmarking attnotnull as much as possible, to decrease the chances
> that the problematic situation occurs. That means, we can use the
> earlier code to handle DROP COLUMN when it causes a PK to be dropped --
> even though we still need to handle the situation of an attnotnull flag
> set with no pg_constraint row. I mean, we still have to handle DROP
> DOMAIN correctly (and there might be other cases that I haven't thought
> about) ... but surely this is a much less common situation than the one
> you reported. So I'll merge everything and post an updated patch.

Here's roughly what I'm thinking. If we drop a constraint, we can still
reset attnotnull in RemoveConstraintById(), but only after checking that
it's not a generated column or a replica identity. If they are, we
don't error out -- just skip the attnotnull update.

Now, about the code to allow ALTER TABLE DROP NOT NULL in case there's
no pg_constraint row, I think at this point it's mostly dead code,
because it can only happen when you have a replica identity or generated
column ... and the DROP NOT NULL should still prevent you from dropping
the flag anyway. But the case can still arise, if you change the
replica identity or ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN DROP DEFAULT, respectively.

I'm still not ready with this -- still not convinced about the new AT
pass. Also, I want to add a test for the pg_dump behavior, and there's
an XXX comment.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"The eagle never lost so much time, as

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Better-handle-indirect-constraint-drops.patch text/x-diff 25.4 KB