Re: Streaming read-ready sequential scan code

From: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: Streaming read-ready sequential scan code
Date: 2024-04-01 19:58:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 08:47:03PM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 4:56 PM Melanie Plageman
> <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 02, 2024 at 06:07:48PM -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:

> > > While investigating some performance concerns, Andres pointed out that
> > > the members I add to HeapScanDescData in this patch push rs_cindex and
> > > rs_ntuples to another cacheline and introduce a 4-byte hole. Attached
> > > v4's HeapScanDescData is as well-packed as on master and its members
> > > are reordered so that rs_cindex and rs_ntuples are back on the second
> > > cacheline of the struct's data.
> >
> > I did some additional profiling and realized that dropping the
> > unlikely() from the places we check rs_inited frequently was negatively
> > impacting performance. v5 adds those back and also makes a few other
> > very minor cleanups.
> >
> > Note that this patch set has a not yet released version of Thomas
> > Munro's Streaming Read API with a new ramp-up logic which seems to fix a
> > performance issue I saw with my test case when all of the sequential
> > scan's blocks are in shared buffers. Once he sends the official new
> > version, I will rebase this and point to his explanation in that thread.
>
> Attached v6 has the version of the streaming read API mentioned here
> [1]. This resolved the fully-in-shared-buffers regressions
> investigated in that thread by Andres, Bilal, and Thomas.

Attached v7 has version 14 of the streaming read API as well as a few
small tweaks to comments and code.

I noticed that 0001 in the set posed a small regression from master for
a sequential scan of a relation already in shared buffers. While
investigating this, I saw that heapfetchbuf() was still not being
inlined (compiled at -O2) and when I promoted heapfetchbuf() from static
inline to static pg_attribute_always_inline, most of the very small
regression I saw went away. I don't know if I squashed the issue
entirely, though.

- Melanie

Attachment Content-Type Size
v7-0001-Split-heapgetpage-into-two-parts.patch text/x-diff 7.9 KB
v7-0002-Replace-blocks-with-buffers-in-heapgettup-control.patch text/x-diff 7.8 KB
v7-0003-v14-Streaming-Read-API.patch text/x-diff 74.1 KB
v7-0004-Sequential-scans-and-TID-range-scans-stream-reads.patch text/x-diff 7.0 KB