Re: make BuiltinTrancheNames less ugly

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make BuiltinTrancheNames less ugly
Date: 2024-03-11 12:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Mar-01, Tristan Partin wrote:

> On Fri Mar 1, 2024 at 8:00 AM CST, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > I'm pretty disappointed of not being able to remove
> > generate-lwlocknames.pl (it now generates the .h, no longer the .c
> > file), but I can't find a way to do the equivalent #defines in CPP ...
> > it'd require invoking the C preprocessor twice. Maybe an intermediate
> > .h file would solve the problem, but I have no idea how would that work
> > with Meson. I guess I'll do it in Make and let somebody suggest a Meson
> > way.
>
> I can help you with Meson if you get the Make implementation done.

Actually I realized that we need to keep the Perl script anyway because
we want to be able to cross-check the wait_event_names.txt files to
ensure we generate the correct documentation. Since it was simple
enough, I added the Meson support already.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Essentially, you're proposing Kevlar shoes as a solution for the problem

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Rework-lwlocknames.txt-to-become-lwlocklist.h.patch text/x-diff 18.9 KB