Re: More new SQL/JSON item methods

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Cc: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More new SQL/JSON item methods
Date: 2024-01-29 03:12:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have two possible issues in a recent commit.

Commit 66ea94e8e6 has introduced the following messages:
(Aplogizies in advance if the commit is not related to this thread.)

jsonpath_exec.c:1287
> if (numeric_is_nan(num) || numeric_is_inf(num))
> RETURN_ERROR(ereport(ERROR,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_NON_NUMERIC_SQL_JSON_ITEM),
> errmsg("numeric argument of jsonpath item method .%s() is out of range for type decimal or number",
> jspOperationName(jsp->type)))));

:1387
> noerr = DirectInputFunctionCallSafe(numeric_in, numstr,
> if (!noerr || escontext.error_occurred)
> RETURN_ERROR(ereport(ERROR,
> (errcode(ERRCODE_NON_NUMERIC_SQL_JSON_ITEM),
> errmsg("string argument of jsonpath item method .%s() is not a valid representation of a decimal or number",

They seem to be suggesting that PostgreSQL has the types "decimal" and
"number". I know of the former, but I don't think PostgreSQL has the
latter type. Perhaps the "number" was intended to refer to "numeric"?
(And I think it is largely helpful if the given string were shown in
the error message, but it would be another issue.)

The same commit has introduced the following set of messages:

> %s format is not recognized: "%s"
> date format is not recognized: "%s"
> time format is not recognized: "%s"
> time_tz format is not recognized: "%s"
> timestamp format is not recognized: "%s"
> timestamp_tz format is not recognized: "%s"

I believe that the first line was intended to cover all the others:p

They are attached to this message separately.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
jsonpath_exec_fix_a_type_name.patch text/x-patch 10.9 KB
jsonpath_exec_merge_msgs_in_same_pattern.patch text/x-patch 3.4 KB