Re: Building PosgresSQL with LLVM fails on Solaris 11.4

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Sacha Hottinger <itdo(at)cndag(dot)onmicrosoft(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building PosgresSQL with LLVM fails on Solaris 11.4
Date: 2023-12-21 12:27:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-12-13 15:18:02 +0000, Sacha Hottinger wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> The reason I was suspicious with the warnings of the gcc build was, because gmake check reported 138 out of 202 tests to have failed. I have attached the output of gmake check.

That'll likely be due to assertion / segmentation failures.

You'd need to enable core dumps and show a backtrace.

I assume that if you run tests without JIT support (e.g. by export
PGOPTIONS='-c jit=0'; gmake check), no such problem occurs?

> After you mentioned that gcc did not report any errors, just warnings, we installed the build.
> First, it seeemed to work and SELECT pg_jit_available(); showed "pg_jit_available" as "t" but the DB showed strange behaviour. I.e. not always, but sometimes running "show parallel_tuple_cost" caused postmaster to restart a server process.
> We had to back to the previous installation.
>
> It seems there is definitievly something wrong with the result gcc created.

I suspect that the LLVM version you used does something wrong on sparc. Which
version of LLVM is it?

Greetings,

Andres Freund