Re: Why are wal_keep_size, max_slot_wal_keep_size requiring server restart?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <nmisch(at)google(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Why are wal_keep_size, max_slot_wal_keep_size requiring server restart?
Date: 2023-12-09 12:31:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Hannu,

On 2023-Dec-09, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Does anyone know why we have decided that the wal_keep_size,
> max_slot_wal_keep_size GUCs "can only be set in the postgresql.conf
> file or on the server command line." [1]?

I think you misread that boilerplate text. If a GUC can be set in the
postgresql.conf file, then you can change it there and do a reload.
Any change will take effect then. No need for a restart.

Variables that require a restart say "This parameter can only be set at
server start."

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de