Re: remaining sql/json patches

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: remaining sql/json patches
Date: 2023-12-07 18:41:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed that JSON_TABLE uses an explicit FORMAT JSON in one of the
rules, instead of using json_format_clause_opt like everywhere else. I
wondered why, and noticed that it's because it wants to set coltype
JTC_FORMATTED when the clause is present but JTC_REGULAR otherwise.
This seemed a little odd, but I thought to split json_format_clause_opt
in two productions, one without the empty rule (json_format_clause) and
another with it. This is not a groundbreaking improvement, but it seems
more natural, and it helps contain the FORMAT stuff a little better.

I also noticed while at it that we can do away not only with the
json_encoding_clause_opt clause, but also with makeJsonEncoding().

The attach patch does it. This is not derived from the patches you're
currently working on; it's more of a revise of the previous SQL/JSON
code I committed in 7081ac46ace8.

It goes before your 0003 and has a couple of easily resolved conflicts
with both 0003 and 0004; then in 0004 you have to edit the JSON_TABLE
rule that has FORMAT_LA and replace that with json_format_clause.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El que vive para el futuro es un iluso, y el que vive para el pasado,

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-simplify-json_format_clause-by-removing-the-opt-part.patch text/x-diff 4.8 KB