Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: zxwsbg12138(at)gmail(dot)com, david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label
Date: 2023-09-28 04:04:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sorry, it seems that I posted at the wrong position..

At Thu, 28 Sep 2023 12:58:51 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> At Fri, 10 Mar 2023 15:59:04 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> > My apologies for the long message, but this deserves some attention,
> > IMHO.
> >
> > So, any thoughts?
>
> Sorry for being late. However, I agree with David's concern regarding
> the unnecessary inconvenience it introduces. I'd like to maintain the
> functionality.
>
> While I agree that InArchiveRecovery should be activated only if
> ArchiveReArchiveRecoveryRequested is true, I oppose to the notion that
> the mere presence of backup_label should be interpreted as a request
> for archive recovery (even if it is implied in a comment in
> InitWalRecovery()). Instead, I propose that we separate backup_label
> and archive recovery, in other words, we should not turn on
> InArchiveRecovery if !ArchiveRecoveryRequested, regardless of the
> presence of backup_label. We can know the minimum required recovery
> LSN by the XLOG_BACKUP_END record.
>
> The attached is a quick mock-up, but providing an approximation of my
> thoughts. (For example, end_of_backup_reached could potentially be
> extended to the ArchiveRecoveryRequested case and we could simplify
> the condition..)

regards

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
xlogrecov_not_enter_arch_if_not_requested.txt text/plain 5.3 KB