Re: Using defines for protocol characters

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using defines for protocol characters
Date: 2023-08-15 04:07:27
Message-ID: 20230815040727.GA2294364@nathanxps13
Views: Raw Message | Whole Thread | Download mbox | Resend email
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I tried to address all the feedback in v5 of the patch, which is attached.
I limited the patch to only the characters that have names in the "Message
Formats" section of protocol.sgml instead of trying to invent names for
unnamed characters.

I'm aware of one inconsistency. While I grouped all the authentication
request messages ('R') into PqMsg_AuthenticationRequest, I added separate
macros for all the different meanings of 'p', i.e., GSSResponse,
PasswordMessage, SASLInitialResponse, and SASLResponse. I wanted to list
everything in protocol.sgml (even the duplicateѕ) to ease greppability, but
the code is structure such that adding macros for all the different
authentication messages would be kind of pointless. Plus, there is a
separate set of authentication request codes just below the added macros.
So, this is where I landed...

Nathan Bossart
Amazon Web Services:

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Introduce-macros-for-protocol-characters.patch text/x-diff 47.8 KB

In response to


Browse pgsql-hackers by date

  From Date Subject
Next Message Nathan Bossart 2023-08-15 04:11:29 Re: [PATCH] Add function to_oct
Previous Message Andy Fan 2023-08-15 03:24:35 Re: Extract numeric filed in JSONB more effectively