Re: add timing information to pg_upgrade

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add timing information to pg_upgrade
Date: 2023-07-28 18:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 10:38:14AM -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> I'm okay with simply adding the time. However, I wonder if we want to
> switch to seconds, minutes, hours, etc. if the step takes longer. This
> would add a bit of complexity, but it would improve human readability.
> Alternatively, we could keep the code simple and machine readable by always
> using milliseconds.

... or maybe we show both like psql does. Attached іs a new version of the
patch in which I've made use of the INSTR_TIME_* macros and enhanced the
output formatting (largely borrowed from PrintTiming() in
src/bin/psql/common.c).

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-add-timing-information-to-pg_upgrade.patch text/x-diff 2.5 KB