Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade and logical replication
Date: 2023-03-27 08:49:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 09, 2023 at 04:34:56PM +0800, Julien Rouhaud wrote:

> Yeah I agree. I added support to also preserve the subscription's replication
> origin information, a new --preserve-subscription-state (better naming welcome)
> documented option for pg_upgrade to optionally ask for this new mode, and a
> similar (but undocumented) option for pg_dump that only works with
> --binary-upgrade and added a check in pg_upgrade that all relations are in 'r'
> (ready) mode. Patch v2 attached.

I'm attaching a v3 to fix a recent conflict with pg_dump due to a563c24c9574b7
(Allow pg_dump to include/exclude child tables automatically). While at it I
also tried to improve the documentation, explaining how that option could be
useful and what is the drawback of not using it (linking to the pg_dump note
about the same) if you plan to reactivate subscription(s) after an upgrade.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-Optionally-preserve-the-full-subscription-s-state.patch text/plain 21.2 KB