Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cataloguing NOT NULL constraints
Date: 2023-03-15 22:44:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's v5. I removed the business of renaming constraints in child
relations: recursing now just relies on matching column names. Each
column has only one NOT NULL constraint; if you try to add another,
nothing happens. All in all, this code is pretty similar to how we
handle inheritance of columns, which I think is good.

I added a mention that this funny syntax
ALTER TABLE tab ADD CONSTRAINT NOT NULL col;
is not standard. Maybe it's OK, but it seems a bit too prominent to me.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0001-Catalog-NOT-NULL-constraints.patch text/x-diff 166.5 KB