Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Doc: Rework contrib appendix -- informative titles, tweaked sentences
Date: 2023-01-20 11:42:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 2023-Jan-19, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:03:53 -0600
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Attached are 2 patches, a regular and a delta from your v4 review:
> >
> > contrib_v5-delta.patch.txt
> > contrib_v5.patch.txt
>
> I left your appendix title unchanged: "Additional Supplied
> Extensions and Modules".
>
> I had put "Extensions" after
> "Modules", because, apparently, things that come last in the
> sentence are most remembered by the reader. My impression is that
> more people are looking for extensions than modules.

Hmm, I didn't know that. I guess I can put it back. My own instinct is
to put the most important stuff first, not last, but if research says to
do otherwise, fine, let's do that.

I went over all the titles again. There were a couple of mistakes
and inconsistencies, which I've fixed to the best of my knowledge.
I'm happy with 0001 now and will push shortly unless there are
complaints.

I'm still unsure of the [trusted]/[obsolete] marker, so I split that out
to commit 0002. I would like to see more support for that before
pushing that one.

I also put the page-split bits to another page, because it seems a bit
too clumsy. I hope somebody with more docbook-fu can comment: maybe
there's a way to fix it more generally somehow?

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/