Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: First draft of the PG 15 release notes
Date: 2022-09-25 21:50:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 01:33:07PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > On 9/23/22 11:25 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I'm planning to do a final(?) pass over the v15 notes today,
> >> but I thought it'd be appropriate to push this separately.
>
> > RE "final pass", there's still an errant "BACKPATCHED"[1] that still
> > needs addressing. I didn't have a chance to verify if it was indeed
> > backpatched.
>
> Yeah, that one indeed needs removed (and I've done so). I see a
> few other places where Bruce left notes about things that need more
> clarification. I'm just finishing a pass of "update for subsequent
> commits", and then I'll start on copy-editing.

Some possible changes for your consideration.

+ Store <application>pg_upgrade</application>'s log and
+ temporary files in a subdirectory of the new cluster called
+ <filename>pg_upgrade_output.d</filename> (Justin Pryzby)

+ Previously such files were left in the current directory,
+ requiring manual cleanup. It's still necessary to remove them
+ manually afterwards, but now one can just remove that whole
+ subdirectory.

If pg_upgrade succeeds, then it removes the dir itself (so it's not
"necessary").

And if it fails after starting to restore the schema, then it's
necessary to remove not the "subdirectory" but the whole new-cluster
dir.

+ Make <application>pg_upgrade</application> preserve tablespace
+ and database OIDs, as well as table relfilenode numbers

s/table/relation/ ?

You changed this to use spaces:
| The new setting is <literal>log_destination = jsonlog</literal>.
but then left these without spaces:
| and <literal>wal_level=minimal</literal>.
| This is enabled via <literal>--compress=lz4</literal> and requires

+ value, use the transaction start time not wall clock time to

s/not/rather than/ ?

+ Adjust <application>psql</application> so that Readline's

should use <productname>Readline ?

+ Previously a pound marker was inserted, but that's pretty
+ unhelpful in SQL.

This sounds more like a candid commit message than a release note.

+ Improve performance of dumping databases with many objects

s/of/when/ ?

+ New options are <literal>server</literal> to write the

*The* new options

+ In some cases a partition child table could appear more than once.

Technically "partition child table" is redundant

--
Justin