Re: EINTR in ftruncate()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EINTR in ftruncate()
Date: 2022-07-06 19:29:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Jul-05, Andres Freund wrote:

> I think we'd be better off disabling at least some signals during
> dsm_impl_posix_resize(). I'm afraid we'll otherwise just find another
> variation of these problems. I haven't checked the source of ftruncate, but
> what Thomas dug up for fallocate makes it pretty clear that our current
> approach of just retrying again and again isn't good enough. It's a bit more
> obvious that it's a problem for fallocate, but I don't think it's worth having
> different solutions for the two.

So what if we move the retry loop one level up? As in the attached.
Here, if we get EINTR then we retry both syscalls.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"No hay hombre que no aspire a la plenitud, es decir,

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-rework-retry-loop-for-dsm_impl_op.patch text/x-diff 4.2 KB