Re: [PROPOSAL] Detecting plan changes with plan_id in pg_stat_activity

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Detecting plan changes with plan_id in pg_stat_activity
Date: 2022-06-23 03:12:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 11:05:54PM +0000, Imseih (AWS), Sami wrote:
> > Can you describe how it's kept in sync, and how it makes sure that the property
> > is maintained over restart / gc? I don't see any change in the code for the
> > 2nd part so I don't see how it could work (and after a quick test it indeed
> > doesn't).
>
> There is a routine called qtext_hash_sync which removed all entries from
> the qtext_hash and reloads it will all the query ids from pgss_hash.
> [...]
> All the points when it's called, an exclusive lock is held.this allows or syncing all
> The present queryid's in pgss_hash with qtext_hash.

So your approach is to let the current gc / file loading behavior happen as
before and construct your mapping hash using the resulting query text / offset
info. That can't work.

> > 2nd part so I don't see how it could work (and after a quick test it indeed
> > doesn't).
>
> Can you tell me what test you used to determine it is not in sync?

What test did you use to determine it is in sync? Have you checked how the gc/
file loading actually work?

In my case I just checked the size of the query text file after running some
script that makes sure that there are the same few queries ran by multiple
different roles, then:

Size of $PGDATA/pg_stat_tmp/pgss_query_texts.stat: 559B
pg_ctl restart
Size of $PGDATA/pg_stat_tmp/pgss_query_texts.stat: 2383B

But you wrote:

> ##################################
> ## pg_stat_statements.max = 15000
> ##################################

So which one is it?

> So 10-15% is not accurate. I originally tested on a less powered machine. For this
> Benchmark I see a 6% increase in TPS (732k vs 683k) when we have a larger sized
> pg_stat_statements.max is used and less gc/deallocations.
> Both tests show a drop in gc/deallocations and a net increase
> In tps. Less GC makes sense since the external file has less duplicate SQLs.

On the other hand you're rebuilding the new query_offset hashtable every time
there's an entry eviction, which seems quite expensive.

Also, as I mentioned you didn't change any of the heuristic for
need_gc_qtexts(). So if the query texts are indeed deduplicated, doesn't it
mean that gc will artificially
be called less often? The wanted target of "50% bloat" will become "50%
bloat assuming no deduplication is done" and the average query text file size
will stay the same whether the query texts are deduplicated or not.

I'm wondering the improvements you see due to the patch or simply due to
artificially calling gc less often? What are the results if instead of using
vanilla pg_stat_statements you patch it to perform roughly the same number of
gc as your version does?

Also your benchmark workload is very friendly with your feature, what are the
results with other workloads? Having the results with query texts that aren't
artificially long would be interesting for instance, after fixing the problems
mentioned previously.

Also, you said that if you run that benchmark with a single user you don't see
any regression. I don't see how rebuilding an extra hashtable in
entry_dealloc(), so when holding an exclusive lwlock, while not saving any
other work elsewhere could be free?

Looking at the script, you have:
echo "log_min_messages=debug1" >> $PGDATA/postgresql.conf; \

Is that really necessary? Couldn't you upgrade the gc message to a higher
level for your benchmark need, or expose some new counter in
pg_stat_statements_info maybe? Have you done the benchmark using a debug build
or normal build?