Re: Race condition in server-crash testing

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Race condition in server-crash testing
Date: 2022-04-04 05:52:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 10:07:21PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-04-04 00:50:27 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > My pet dinosaur gaur just failed [1] in
> > src/test/recovery/t/022_crash_temp_files.pl, which does this:
> >
> > -----
> > my $ret = PostgreSQL::Test::Utils::system_log('pg_ctl', 'kill', 'KILL', $pid);
> > is($ret, 0, 'killed process with KILL');
> >
> > # Close psql session
> > $killme->finish;
> > $killme2->finish;
> >
> > # Wait till server restarts
> > $node->poll_query_until('postgres', undef, '');
> > -----
> >
> > It's hard to be totally sure, but I think what happened is that
> > gaur hit the in-hindsight-obvious race condition in this code:
> > we managed to execute a successful iteration of poll_query_until
> > before the postmaster had noticed its dead child and commenced
> > the restart. The test lines after these are not prepared to see
> > failure-to-connect.
> >
> > It's not obvious to me how to remove this race condition.
> > Thoughts?
>
> Maybe we can use pump_until() with the psql that's not getting killed? With a
> non-matching regex? That'd only return once the backend was killed by
> postmaster, afaics?

Sounds good; I suspect that will be better than any of the ideas I scratched
down when
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=hoverfly&dt=2021-08-31%2015%3A00%3A52
failed the same way. For what it's worth, those were:

- Check that pg_postmaster_start_time() has changed. But that runs into EPIPE
trouble, requiring a write to a file or an eval{} to trap the EPIPE.
- Likewise, but check "select checkpoint_lsn from pg_control_checkpoint();".
- Poll pg_controldata until a new checkpoint happens. Compare checkpoint LSN.
Use checkpoint_timeout=1h to avoid non-end-of-recovery checkpoints.
- Poll logfile until "all server processes terminated; reinitializing". Can
be fooled with certain log_min_messages settings, but so can our other
log-scraping tests.
- Grab the pid of e.g. the checkpointer and poll for that process to be gone.
Can be fooled by PID reuse.