Re: Why is src/test/modules/committs/t/002_standby.pl flaky?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why is src/test/modules/committs/t/002_standby.pl flaky?
Date: 2022-01-14 22:44:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-01-15 10:59:00 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 9:28 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > I think it doesn't even need to touch socket.c to cause breakage. Using two
> > different WaitEventSets is enough.
>
> Right. I was interested in your observation because so far we'd
> *only* been considering the two-consecutive-WaitEventSets case, which
> we could grok experimentally.

There likely are further problems in other parts, but I think socket.c is
unlikely to be involved in walreceiver case - there shouldn't be any socket.c
style socket in walreceiver itself, nor do I think we are doing a
send/recv/select backed by socket.c.

> The patch Alexander tested most recently uses a tri-state eof flag [...]

What about instead giving WalReceiverConn an internal WaitEventSet, and using
that consistently? I've attached a draft for that.

Alexander, could you test with that patch applied?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-WIP-use-long-lived-WaitEventSet-for-libpqwalreceiver.patch text/x-diff 19.7 KB