Re: Adding CI to our tree

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date: 2021-11-19 23:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-11-19 17:17:44 -0500, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> For the README, I found the instructions very clear. My only concern is
> that the cirrus-ci UI will change and the instructions on how to enable
> cirrus-ci on a repository will not be accessible in the same way in the
> future.

I think we can just adjust things at that point, I'm not too worried about
past instructions not working.

> I have attached a patch which does a small refactor using a yaml anchor
> and aliases (tried it and it seems to work for me).

Oh, neat. Yaml is so weird.

> - Would you find it valuable to set a few more coredump_filter bits?
> Might be worth setting bits 2 and 3 (see [2])-- in addition to the
> defaults (on Linux -- I don't know what the equivalent is on other
> platforms).

I don't think we need 2/3 - we don't have file backed mappings. In some
situations setting bit 6 (shared huge pages) would make sense - but here we
don't configure them...

> - I found this line a bit confusing, so maybe it is worth a comment
> sysinfo_script:
> - export || true

We can probably just get rid of the ||. It was just so that a missing 'export'
builtin didn't cause execution to abort. But that won't randomly vanish, so
it's fine.

> - For the docker files, I think it is recommended to run "docker build"
> only from within the specific build context (not in the top-level
> directory), so I don't think you should need the dockerignore file.

We don't have control over that in this case - it's cirrus invoking docker,
and it just uses the whole repo as the context.

> - In ci/docker/linux_debian_bullseye, you can make this change:
> - apt-get clean
> + apt-get clean && \
> + rm -f /var/lib/apt/lists/*

Might not matter too much compared to the size of the whole thing, but it
definitely won't hurt...

Greetings,

Andres Freund