Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
Date: 2021-11-03 22:39:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 08:02:41PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm still of the position that the default ought to be that a
> normally-functioning server generates no ongoing log output.
> Only people who have got Nagios watching their logs, or some
> such setup, are going to want anything different. And that is
> a minority use-case. There are going to be way more people
> bitching because their postmaster log overflowed their disk
> than there will be people who are happier because you made
> such output the default. (Don't forget that our default
> logging setup does not rotate the logs.)

The default also has logging_collector=off, so is ENOSPC really a concern for
anyone at all ?

I think there's no issue for distros who distribute postgres with their own
modified defaults, since they can either use their own customized default with
log_checkpoints=off, or they can accommodate our "default default".

Debian uses logging_collector=off but does its own redirection, with log
rotation and compression. That's the case that Robert described.

--
Justin