Re: Inconsistency in startup process's MyBackendId and procsignal array registration with ProcSignalInit()

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: andres(at)anarazel(dot)de
Cc: bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in startup process's MyBackendId and procsignal array registration with ProcSignalInit()
Date: 2021-10-19 07:24:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(This branch may should leave from this thread..)

At Fri, 15 Oct 2021 15:00:57 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> At Thu, 14 Oct 2021 10:53:06 -0700, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote in
> > This'd get rid of the need of density *and* make SIInsertDataEntries()
> > cheaper.
>
> Yes. So.. I tried that. The only part where memory-flush timing is
> crucial seems to be between writing messages and setting maxMsgNum.
> By placing memory barrier between them it seems *to me* we can read
> maxMsgNum safely without locks.

Maybe we need another memory barrier here and the patch was broken
about the rechecking on the members in GetSIGetDataEntries..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center