Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: compute_query_id and pg_stat_statements
Date: 2021-04-26 17:43:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Apr-26, Tom Lane wrote:

> > * Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> >> Thatäs why I suggested the three value one. Default to a mode where
> >> it's automatic, which is what the majority is going to want, but have
> >> a way to explicitly turn it on.
>
> > This is certainly fine with me too, though it seems a bit surprising to
> > me that we couldn't just figure out what the user actually wants based
> > on what's installed/running for any given combination.
>
> I'd be on board with having pg_stat_statement's pg_init function do
> something to adjust the setting, if we can figure out how to do that
> in a way that's not confusing in itself. I'm not sure though that
> the GUC engine offers a good way.

I think it's straightforward, if we decouple the tri-valued enum used
for guc.c purposes from a separate boolean that actually enables the
feature. GUC sets the boolean to "off" initially when it sees the enum
as "auto", and then pg_stat_statement's _PG_init modifies it during its
own startup as needed.

So the user can turn the GUC off, and then pg_stat_statement does
nothing and there is no performance drawback; or leave it "auto" and
it'll only compute query_id if pg_stat_statement is loaded; or leave it
on if they want the query_id for other purposes.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"El miedo atento y previsor es la madre de la seguridad" (E. Burke)