Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com
Cc: osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net, masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: In-placre persistance change of a relation
Date: 2021-03-25 05:08:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

(I'm not sure when the subject was broken..)

At Thu, 14 Jan 2021 17:32:17 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> Commit bea449c635 conflicts with this on the change of the definition
> of DropRelFileNodeBuffers. The change simplified this patch by a bit:p

In this version, I got rid of the "CLEANUP FORK"s, and added a new
system "Smgr marks". The mark files have the name of the
corresponding fork file followed by ".u" (which means Uncommitted.).
"Uncommited"-marked main fork means the same as the CLEANUP2_FORKNUM
and uncommitted-marked init fork means the same as the CLEANUP_FORKNUM
in the previous version.x

I noticed that the previous version of the patch still leaves an
orphan main fork file after "BEGIN; CREATE TABLE x; ROLLBACK; (crash
before checkpoint)" since the "mark" file (or CLEANUP2_FORKNUM) is
revmoed at rollback. In this version the responsibility to remove the
mark files is moved to SyncPostCheckpoint, where main fork files are
actually removed.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
v6-0001-In-place-table-persistence-change.patch text/x-patch 73.9 KB
v6-0002-New-command-ALTER-TABLE-ALL-IN-TABLESPACE-SET-LOG.patch text/x-patch 11.2 KB