Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Date: 2021-02-17 02:20:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-02-16 17:11:06 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I can't promise that what I'm about to write is an entirely faithful
> representation of what he said, but hopefully it's not so far off that
> he gets mad at me or something.

Seems accurate - and also I'm way too tired that I'd be mad ;)

> 1. If the server starts up and is read-only and
> ArchiveRecoveryRequested, clear the read-only state in memory and also
> in the control file, log a message saying that this has been done, and
> proceed. This makes some other cases simpler to deal with.

It seems also to make sense from a behaviour POV to me: Imagine a
"smooth" planned failover with ASRO:
1) ASRO on primary
2) promote standby
3) edit primary config to include primary_conninfo, add standby.signal
4) restart "read only primary"

There's not really any spot in which it'd be useful to do disable ASRO,
right? But 4) should make the node a normal standby.

Greetings,

Andres Freund