Re: Recent eelpout failures on 9.x branches

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recent eelpout failures on 9.x branches
Date: 2020-12-02 03:51:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 06:07:17PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Unfortunately, eelpout got kicked off the nice shiny ARM server it was
> > running on so last week I moved it to a rack mounted Raspberry Pi. It
> > seems to be totally I/O starved causing some timeouts to be reached,
> > and I'm looking into fixing that by adding fast storage. This may
> > take a few days. Sorry for the noise.
>
> Ah-hah. Now that I look, eelpout is very clearly slower overall
> than it was a couple weeks ago, so all is explained.
>
> It might still be reasonable to raise wal_sender_timeout in the
> buildfarm environment, though. We usually try to make sure that
> buildfarm timeouts border on ridiculous, not just because of
> underpowered critters but also for cases like CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS
> animals.

My buildfarm animals override these:

extra_config =>{
DEFAULT => [
"authentication_timeout = '600s'",
"wal_receiver_timeout = '18000s'",
"wal_sender_timeout = '18000s'",
],
},
build_env =>{
PGCTLTIMEOUT => 18000,
},

Each of those timeouts caused failures before I changed it. For animals fast
enough to make them irrelevant, I've not yet encountered a disadvantage.

> I'm also wondering a bit why the issue isn't affecting the newer
> branches. It's certainly not because we made the test shorter ...

That is peculiar.