Re: Possible memory leak in pgcrypto with EVP_MD_CTX

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Possible memory leak in pgcrypto with EVP_MD_CTX
Date: 2020-10-19 01:08:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 04:22:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> That's a bit annoying, because this memory is allocated directly by
> OpenSSL, and Postgres does not know how to free it until it gets
> registered in the list of open_digests that would be used by the
> cleanup callback, so I think that we had better back-patch this fix.

Hearing nothing, I have fixed the issue and back-patched it.

While looking at it, I have noticed that e2838c58 has never actually
worked with OpenSSL 0.9.6 because we lack an equivalent for
EVP_MD_CTX_destroy() and EVP_MD_CTX_create(). This issue would be
easy enough to fix as the size of EVP_MD_CTX is known in those
versions of OpenSSL, but as we have heard zero complaints on this
matter I have left that out in the 9.5 and 9.6 branches. Back in
2016, even 0.9.8 was barely used, so I can't even imagine somebody
using 0.9.6 with the most recent PG releases.
--
Michael