Re: enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enable_incremental_sort changes query behavior
Date: 2020-10-02 14:32:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 09:19:44AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:

>I've been able to confirm that the problem goes away if we stop adding
>the gather merge paths in generate_useful_gather_paths().
>
>I'm not sure yet what conclusion that leads us to. It seems to be that
>the biggest clue remains that all of this works correctly unless one
>of the selected columns (which happens to be a pathkey at this point
>because it's a DISTINCT query) contains a volatile expression.

Yeah. It seems to me this is a bug in get_useful_pathkeys_for_relation,
which is calling find_em_expr_for_rel and is happy with anything it
returns. But this was copied from postgres_fdw, which however does a bit
more here:

if (pathkey_ec->ec_has_volatile ||
!(em_expr = find_em_expr_for_rel(pathkey_ec, rel)) ||
!is_foreign_expr(root, rel, em_expr))

So not only does it explicitly check volatility of the pathkey, it also
calls is_foreign_expr which checks the expression for mutable functions.

The attached patch seems to fix this, but it only adds the check for
mutable functions. Maybe it should check ec_has_volatile too ...

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
incremental-sort-fix.patch text/plain 925 bytes