Re: Add information to rm_redo_error_callback()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add information to rm_redo_error_callback()
Date: 2020-08-17 17:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Aug-17, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:

> Having this "pg_waldump" kind of format in this place
> (rm_redo_error_callback()) ensures that we'll always see the same piece of
> information during rm_redo.
>
> I think it's good to guarantee that we'll always see the same piece of
> information (should a new RM desc() be created in the future for example),
> even if it could lead to some information overlap in some cases.

I agree.

I think we should treat the changes to remove rm_desc-specific info
items that are redundant as separate improvements that don't need to
block this patch. They would be, at worst, only minor annoyances.
And the removal, as was said, can affect other things that we might want
to think about separately.