PROC_IN_ANALYZE stillborn 13 years ago

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Subject: PROC_IN_ANALYZE stillborn 13 years ago
Date: 2020-08-05 23:55:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Back in the 8.3 cycle (2007) when the autovacuum launcher/worker split
was done, we annoyed people because it blocked DDL. That led to an
effort to cancel autovac automatically when that was detected, by Simon
Riggs.
https://postgr.es/m/1191526327.4223.204.camel@ebony.site
https://postgr.es/m/1192129897.4233.433.camel@ebony.site

I was fixated on only cancelling when it was ANALYZE, to avoid losing
any VACUUM work.
https://postgr.es/m/20071025164150.GF23566@alvh.no-ip.org
That turned into some flags for PGPROC to detect whether a process was
ANALYZE, and cancel only those.
https://postgr.es/m/20071024151328.GG6559@alvh.no-ip.org
Commit:
https://postgr.es/m/20071024205536.CB425754229@cvs.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=745c1b2c2ab

However, I was outvoted, so we do not limit cancellation to analyze.
Patch and discussion: https://postgr.es/m/20071025164150.GF23566@alvh.no-ip.org
Commit:
https://postgr.es/m/20071026204510.AA02E754229@cvs.postgresql.org
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=acac68b2bca

... which means the flag I had added two days earlier has never been
used for anything. We've carried the flag forward to this day for
almost 13 years, dutifully turning it on and off ... but never checking
it anywhere.

I propose to remove it, as in the attached patch.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Remove-PROC_IN_ANALYZE.patch text/x-diff 3.6 KB