Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cache lookup errors with functions manipulation object addresses
Date: 2020-07-06 07:45:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 11:04:17AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> 0001 and 0002 look good to me.

Thanks for the review.

> I think 0003 could be a little more careful about indentation; some long
> lines are going to result after pgindent that might be better to handle
> in a different way before commit, e.g., here
>
>> + {
>> + char *proname = format_procedure_extended(object->objectId,
>> + FORMAT_PROC_FORCE_QUALIFY | FORMAT_PROC_INVALID_AS_NULL);

Yes, I was looking at that for a couple of hours and pgindent made
that a bit weird. So I have changed the code to just use a separate
variable. That makes things a bit cleaner.

While refreshing my mind with this code, I got surprised with the
choice of "routine" in getProcedureTypeDescription() when we need a
default object type name for an object not found, so I have switched
that to "procedure" to be more consistent.

I have also spent some time analyzing the coverage of the patch, and
did not find any obvious holes or any remaining missing_ok paths not
covered. Some comments were also a bit weird after re-reading them,
so I tweaked a couple of places.

Attached is for now a rebased patch. If there are any comments,
please feel free. Daniel, Alvaro, does that look fine for you? I am
letting this stuff aside for a couple of days for the moment.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
v20-0001-Eliminate-user-visible-cache-lookup-errors-for-o.patch text/x-diff 96.7 KB