Removal of currtid()/currtid2() and some table AM cleanup

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Hiroshi Saito <hiroshi(at)winpg(dot)jp>, "Inoue, Hiroshi" <h-inoue(at)dream(dot)email(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Removal of currtid()/currtid2() and some table AM cleanup
Date: 2020-06-03 02:14:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I have been looking at the ODBC driver and the need for currtid() as
well as currtid2(), and as mentioned already in [1], matching with my
lookup of things, these are actually not needed by the driver as long
as we connect to a server newer than 8.2 able to support RETURNING. I
am adding in CC of this thread Saito-san and Inoue-san who are the
two main maintainers of the driver for comments. It is worth noting
that on its latest HEAD the ODBC driver requires libpq from at least
9.2.

I would like to remove those two functions and the surrounding code
for v14, leading to some cleanup:
6 files changed, 326 deletions(-)

While on it, I have noticed that heap_get_latest_tid() is still
located within heapam.c, but we can just move it within
heapam_handler.c.

Attached are two patches to address both points. Comments are
welcome.

Thanks,

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20200529005559.jl2gsolomyro4l4n@alap3.anarazel.de
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Remove-currtid-and-currtid2.patch text/x-diff 13.2 KB
0002-Move-heap_get_latest_tid-within-the-heap-AM-handler.patch text/x-diff 8.8 KB