Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, hoshiai(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com, alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Implementing Incremental View Maintenance
Date: 2020-05-08 06:52:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> +1, This is a smart idea. How did you test it? AFAIK, we can test it
> with:
>
> 1. For any query like SELECT xxx, we create view like CREATE MATERIAL VIEW
> mv_name as SELECT xxx; to test if the features in the query are supported.

No I didn't test the correctness of IVM with TPC-DS data for now.
TPC-DS comes with a data generator and we can test IVM something like:

SELECT * FROM IVM_vew EXCEPT SELECT ... (TPC-DS original query);

If this produces 0 row, then the IVM is correct for the initial data.
(of course actually we need to add appropreate ORDER BY and LIMIT
clause to the SELECT statement for IVM if neccessary).

> 2. Update the data and then compare the result with SELECT XXX with SELECT
> * from mv_name to test if the data is correctly sync.

I wanted to test the data updating but I am still struggling how to
extract correct updating data from TPC-DS data set.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan