Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-06 06:39:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 11:16:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Allow skipping of WAL for new tables and indexes if wal_level is 'minimal' (Noah Misch)

Kyotaro Horiguchi authored that one. (I committed it.) The commit message
noted characteristics, some of which may deserve mention in the notes:

- Crash recovery was losing tuples written via COPY TO. This fixes the bug.
- Out-of-tree table access methods will require changes.
- Users setting a timeout on COMMIT may need to adjust that timeout, and
log_min_duration_statement analysis will reflect time consumption moving to
COMMIT from commands like COPY.
- COPY has worked this way for awhile; this extends it to all modifications.