Re: Add A Glossary

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add A Glossary
Date: 2020-04-02 08:43:28
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Apr-01, Corey Huinker wrote:

> > I propose we define "planner" and make "optimizer" a <glosssee> entry.
>
> I have no objection to more entries, or edits to entries, but am concerned
> that the process leads to someone having to manually merge several
> start-from-scratch patches, with no clear sense of when we'll be done. I
> may make sense to appoint an edit-collector.

I added "query planner" (please suggest edits) and "query" (using
Justin's def) and edited the defs of the ACID terms a little bit (in
particular moved the definition of atomic transaction to "atomicity"
from "atomic", and made the latter reference the former instead of the
other way around). Also removed "Aggregating" as suggested upthread. I
moved "master" over to "primary (server)", keeping the ref; we don't use
the former much.

There's only one "serious" mistake in the defs AFAICS which is that of
"global objects". Only roles, tablespace, databases are global objects.
Objects that are not in a schema (extensions, etc) are not "global" in
that sense.

I think all <glossterm> used in definitions should have linkend.

I hope to get this committed today, but I'm going to sleep now so if you
want to suggest further edits, now's the time. I think the terms
proposed by Justin are good to have -- please discuss the defs he
proposed -- only "normalized" I'd rather stay away from.

Thanks,

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-glossary-v6.patch text/x-diff 53.3 KB