Re: PostgreSQL 11 higher Planning time on Partitioned table

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Ravi Garg <ravi(dot)garg(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 11 higher Planning time on Partitioned table
Date: 2020-02-23 15:10:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:57:29AM +0000, Ravi Garg wrote:
> - Currently we are thinking to have Daily partitions and as we need to keep 6 months of data thus 180 Partitions.However we have liberty to reduce the number of partitions to weekly/fortnightly/monthly, If we get comparable performance.

I didn't hear how large the tables and indexes are.

> - We need to look current partition and previous partition for all of our use-cases/queries.

Do you mean that a given query is only going to hit 2 partitions ? Or do you
mean that all but the most recent 2 partitions are "archival" and won't be
needed by future queries ?

> Can you please suggest what sort of combinations/partition strategy we can test considering data-volume/vacuum etc. Also let me know if some of the pg_settings can help us tuning this (I have attached my pg_settings).

You should determine what an acceptable planning speed is, or the best balance
of planning/execution time. Try to detach half your current partitions and, if
that gives acceptable performance, then partition by day/2 or more. You could
make a graph of (planning and total) time vs npartitions, since I think it's
likely to be nonlinear.

I believe others have reported improved performance under v11 with larger
numbers of partitions, by using "partitions of partitions". So you could try
making partitions by month themselves partitioned by day.

> - Our use case is limited to simple selects (we don't join with the other
> tables) however, we are expecting ~70 million records inserted per day
> and there would be couple of updates on each records where average record
> size would be ~ 1.5 KB.

> shared_buffers | 1048576

If you care about INSERT performance, you probably need to make at least a
single partition's index fit within shared_buffers (or set shared_buffers such
that it fits). Use transactions around your inserts. If your speed is not
limited by I/O, you could further use multiple VALUES(),() inserts, or maybe
prepared statements. Maybe synchronous_commit=off.

If you care about (consistent) SELECT performance, you should consider
VACUUMing the tables after bulk inserts, to set hint bits (and since
non-updated tuples won't be hit by autovacuum). Or maybe VACUUM FREEZE to
freeze tuples (since it sounds like a typical page is unlikely to ever be
updated).

--
Justin