Re: Patch to document base64 encoding

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Patch to document base64 encoding
Date: 2020-01-17 18:22:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:41:33 +0100 (CET)
Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:
> Some comments about v13:
>
> The note about get_byte reads:
>
> get_byte and set_byte number the first byte of a binary string as
> byte 0. get_bit and set_bit number bits from the right within each
> byte; for example bit 0 is the least significant bit of the first
> byte, and bit 15 is the most significant bit of the second byte.
>
> The two sentences starts with a lower case letter, which looks
> strange to me. I'd suggest to put "Functions" at the beginning of the
> sentences:
>
> Functions get_byte and set_byte number the first byte of a binary
> string as byte 0. Functions get_bit and set_bit number bits from the
> right within each byte; for example bit 0 is the least significant
> bit of the first byte, and bit 15 is the most significant bit of the
> second byte.

Excellent suggestion, done.

> The note about hash provides an example for getting the hex
> representation out of sha*. I'd add an exemple to get the bytea
> representation from md5, eg "DECODE(MD5('hello world'), 'hex')"…

Ok. Done.

> Maybe the encode/decode in the note could be linked to the function
> description? Well, they are just after, maybe it is not very useful.

Can't hurt? Done.

Patch attached: doc_base64_v14.patch
Regards,

Karl <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc_base64_v14.patch text/x-patch 36.6 KB