Re: REINDEX CONCURRENTLY unexpectedly fails

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: Re: REINDEX CONCURRENTLY unexpectedly fails
Date: 2020-01-15 01:39:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:41:11PM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> I'm not a fan of all those changes in RangeVarCallbackForDropRelation() to
> ensure that you get an AccessExclusiveLock to begin with. It gets pretty
> complicated, and it feels like you need to special-case temporary tables in
> dozen different places. I liked the v3 of this patch better. It's true that
> you're upgrading the ShareUpdateExclusiveLock to AccessExclusiveLock, but
> since it's a temporary table, there really should be no other backend
> holding a lock on it.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. That was as well my
feeling with the peanut and the sledgehammer. I liked the peanuts,
but not the hammer part.

There are still some parts I liked about v4 (doc wording, tweaks about
the shape of RelationSupportsConcurrentIndexing and its use in
assertions, setting up the concurrent flag in RemoveRelation and use an
assert in index_drop is also cleaner), so I kept a good portion of
v4. Attached is an updated patch, v5, that removes the parts
enforcing the lock when looking at the relation OID based on its
RangeVar.

Any thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
reindex-conc-temp-v5.patch text/x-diff 15.8 KB