Re: Patch to document base64 encoding

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Subject: Re: Patch to document base64 encoding
Date: 2020-01-09 15:23:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020 08:27:28 +0100 (CET)
Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> > Another option would be to use "bytes bytea".
>
> > (The current patch uses "string bytea".)
> > This would probably also require some re-wording throughout.

> I like it, but this is only my own limited opinion, and I'm not a
> native English speaker.

Per your request for consistency I made this change throughout
the entire binary string section.

New patch attached: doc_base64_v13.patch

This required surprisingly little re-wording.
Added word "binary" into the descriptions of convert(),
substring(), convert_from(), and convert_to().

I also added data types to the call syntax of set_bit()
and set_byte().

And this patch adds hyperlinks from the get_bit(), get_byte(),
set_bit(), and set_byte() descriptions to the note
that offsets are zero-based.

I also removed the hyperlinked asterisks about the hash
function results and instead hyperlinked the word "hash"
in the descriptions. (Links to the note about md5()
returning hex text and the others returning bytea and how
to convert between the two.)

Regards,

Karl <kop(at)karlpinc(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein

Attachment Content-Type Size
doc_base64_v13.patch text/x-patch 35.6 KB