Re: Ltree syntax improvement

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Dmitry Belyavsky <beldmit(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Ltree syntax improvement
Date: 2020-01-06 13:49:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

This patch got mostly ignored since 2019-07 commitfest :-( The latest
patch (sent by Nikita) does not apply because of a minor conflict in
contrib/ltree/ltxtquery_io.c.

I see the patch removes a small bit of ltree_plpython tests which would
otherwise fail (with the "I don't know plpython" justification). Why not
to instead update the tests to accept the new output? Or is it really
the case that the case that we no longer need those tests?

The patch also reworks some parts from "if" to "switch" statements. I
agree switch statements are more readable, but maybe we should do this
in two steps - first adopting the "switch" without changing the logic,
and then making changes. But maybe that's an overkill.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com