Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alexey Kondratov <a(dot)kondratov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jose Luis Tallon <jltallon(at)adv-solutions(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Allow CLUSTER, VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to change tablespace on the fly
Date: 2019-12-02 08:21:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 08:47:06PM +0300, Alexey Kondratov wrote:
> The only difference is that point 3) and tablespace part of 5) were missing
> in RelationSetNewRelfilenode, so I added them, and I do 4) after 6) in
> REINDEX. Thus, it seems that in my implementation of tablespace change in
> REINDEX I am more sure that "the relation tablespace is correctly updated
> before reindexing", since I do reindex after CCI (point 6), doesn't it?
>
> So why it is fine for ATExecSetTableSpace to do pretty much the same, but
> not for REINDEX? Or the key point is in doing actual work before CCI, but
> for me it seems a bit against what you have wrote?

Nope, the order is not the same on what you do here, causing a
duplication in the tablespace selection within
RelationSetNewRelfilenode() and when flushing the relation on the new
tablespace for the first time after the CCI happens, please see
below. And we should avoid that.

> Thus, I cannot get your point correctly here. Can you, please, elaborate a
> little bit more your concerns?

The case of REINDEX CONCURRENTLY is pretty simple, because a new
relation which is a copy of the old relation is created before doing
the reindex, so you simply need to set the tablespace OID correctly
in index_concurrently_create_copy(). And actually, I think that the
computation is incorrect because we need to check after
MyDatabaseTableSpace as well, no?

The case of REINDEX is more tricky, because you are working on a
relation that already exists, hence I think that what you need to do a
different thing before the actual REINDEX:
1) Update the existing relation's pg_class tuple to point to the new
tablespace.
2) Do a CommandCounterIncrement.
So I think that the order of the operations you are doing is incorrect,
and that you have a risk of breaking the existing tablespace assignment
logic done when first flushing a new relfilenode.

This actually brings an extra thing: when doing a plain REINDEX you
need to make sure that the past relfilenode of the relation gets away
properly. The attached POC patch does that before doing the CCI which
is a bit ugly, but that's enough to show my point, and there is no
need to touch RelationSetNewRelfilenode() this way.
--
Michael

Attachment Content-Type Size
reindex-tablespace-v6.patch text/x-diff 29.3 KB